Vile is the fifth studio album by American death metal band Cannibal Corpse. It was released in 1996 through Metal Blade Records. It was originally titled Created to Kill (which is featured in the Cannibal Corpse Box set) and was recorded with founding vocalist Chris Barnes. Before the album was released, Barnes was kicked out of the band, which then brought in Monstrosity vocalist George “Corpsegrinder” Fisher to finish the album’s vocal work. Fisher re-recorded all of the vocal tracks and the band released the album under the new title Vile. Vile also marks the last album featuring guitarist Rob Barrett until Kill, and features a brand new band logo, because the previous logo was owned and trademarked by the departing Chris Barnes.
During the Vile sessions, “The Undead Will Feast” from Eaten Back to Life was re-recorded with Fisher on vocals. This version of the song would appear on the Worm Infested EP in 2003.
The album was re-released in 2006 with new liner notes and a bonus DVD (entitled “Vile Live”) featuring a full concert from the Vile tour, during which many songs from the album are performed. Vile was the first death metal album to appear on the Billboard 200 chart, debuting at No.151.
It was also the last Cannibal Corpse album to feature Scott Burns as producer.
1. “Devoured by Vermin” Rob Barrett, Alex Webster 3:13
2. “Mummified in Barbed Wire” Webster 3:09
3. “Perverse Suffering” Paul Mazurkiewicz, Jack Owen 4:14
4. “Disfigured” George Fisher, Webster 3:48
5. “Bloodlands” Webster 4:20
6. “Puncture Wound Massacre” Fisher, Mazurkiewicz, Webster 1:41
7. “Relentless Beating” Webster 2:14
8. “Absolute Hatred” Barrett 3:05
9. “Eaten from Inside” Owen 3:43
10. “Orgasm Through Torture” Mazurkiewicz, Webster 3:41
11. “Monolith” Mazurkiewicz, Webster 4:24
Scott Burns – producer, engineer, mixing
Cannibal Corpse – producer
Mike Fuller – mastering
Brian James – design
Vincent Locke – artwork, illustrations
Brian Slagel – executive producer